YWCA National President to attend Corpus Christi Meeting
Big shots, big colors, and big plans highlight this year’s YWCA Annual Mission Membership Meeting. Special guest for the evening presentation and meeting will be Alejandra Castillo, the CEO of YWCA USA. The national president of the nonprofit organization comes to unveil the Corpus Christi YWCA’s new mural and honor the 2019 recipients of the Y Women in Careers award.
The free event is set for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 28, at the YWCA Corpus Christi, 4601 Corona Drive.
“Powerful Together,” the newest mural by Corpus Christi artists Sandra Gonzalez and Monica Marie Garcia, adorns the YWCA building on Corona. With its colorful depiction of top female leaders in the area, the mural promotes the YWCA’s mission to eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
This year’s recipients of the Y Women in Careers Awards are:
• Starr Flores, director, Texas A&M Coastal Bend Health Education Center;
• Bunny D. Forgione, Ph.D., executive associate dean, College of Nursing & Health Sciences, TAMU-Corpus Christi;
• Sarah Garza, director, Environmental Planning, Port of Corpus Christi Authority;
• Trina C. Martinez, vice president and general manager, Corpus Christi Refinery, CITGO Petroleum;
• Marita Rafael, M.D., physician, Driscoll Children’s Hospital;
• Connie G. Rivera, project architect, WKMC Architects Inc.;
• Liza Wisner, Learning & Organizational Development manager, city of Corpus Christi.
Each will give a brief acceptance speech aimed at inspiring the YWTeens in the audience.
“Y Women in Careers is a vital way to show young girls what women can accomplish, helping them to set goals for their own lives,” said YWCA President/CEO Nancy Wesson-Dodd. “These honorees play crucial roles in our community. Recognizing these deserving women is a special privilege for YWCA as well as fulfilling our mission of ‘Empowering Women.’”
Nominations are already open for the 2020 Y Women in Careers awards. Request an application at email@example.com. Deadline for submission is Thursday, December 5, 2019.
Find more articles like this in News